Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Amazing Grant








Grant wanted me to take pictures b/c he wanted to see what was going on. I hope it gives you a better idea of what he's going through.


Grant had his regular clinic visit on Monday. He did the most wonderful job. It was so easy, well, for everyone except him probably. It even started at home with putting on cream. I told him it was time and he walked right over to me to get it on. All he said was I don't like cream. Then off to the clinic, no fussing. He was the first appointment, so they were ready for us. He got all of his vitals taken and then headed to the playroom to eat his breakfast. We didn't even make it there b/c they were waiting at the procedure room for him, ready to access his port. Still no fussing, he just went right in. (I need to mention here that Grant does not do change well. So, his plan was to go eat his breakfast after we got there. When that didn't happen, things could have gotten ugly.) He sat up on my lap. I started to hold his hands like I normally do so that he won't jerk and hit the needle or the nurses arm and he shook me off. I was a little nervous, but he just put his hands down by his sides, determined to do it on his own. The nurse accessed him without a peep or flinch. Awesome! But, it gets better....

When it was time for his procedure (back poke), he walked into the room, climbed up on the bed, sat criss cross and asked for the pillow that he needed to lean over, all with a smile on his face. We propped up the ipad and played Cars and he just laid on the pillow the whole time. Dr. Heym always tells him when the poke is coming. Grant just squinted his eyes for a second and went back to watching his movie. Later I told him I was so proud of him b/c all he did was close his eyes for a second. He said, "how'd you see that?" He was so determined to be rock solid!

I know God was answering a lot of prayers that morning. And I'm so proud of the young man Grant is becoming. He is so strong and trusts in a mighty God for his help.

All of his counts were good and his chemo will all stay the same for this round. He got chemo in his spine and port, and he started his steroids. So far, he's done a great job this week. His body is working hard, so he gets tired easily. And he is very emotional. There is a lot of crying over little things and he wants to give A LOT of hugs. All that being said, I think he's handling it well.

Thank you for continuing to keep up with our family and we appreciate your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment