Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Whole Year?!

Wow, I haven't posted an update in so long, I don't know where to start!
As we began our school day yesterday, Grant was looking at the calendar.  He immediately said, "It's been a year."  It took me a second to realize what he was saying.  Then he clarified for me, "It's been a year since I stopped taking my chemo."  Yes it has!!  Can you believe we have lived and entire year of "normal" life?  That seemed like a day that would never come in the midst of treatment.  But, here we are - a whole year!
Grant is still seeing Dr. Heym regularly.  He will go in September and then begin an every other month routine.  Each time, they do a blood analysis and a physical.  Grant has been passing with flying colors.
However, we did discover something unusual.  A couple of months ago, Grant was subconsciously touching his chest where his port used to be.  I reminded him it wasn't there.  He told me very seriously that something was there.  I thought it was all in his head until I started looking closer and touching it.  It sure did seem like something was there, but I kept telling myself there couldn't be.  So, we finally asked Dr. Heym about it.  I was thinking he was going to tell us it was scar tissue.  Grant is very thin and it is easily visible.  But that is not what he told us.  A piece of Grant's port was left in his chest.  What?!  How does that happen?
At that point, the doctors gave us 2 options.  They said that he could probably leave it in and live "harmoniously" with it for the rest of his life.  Or we could have it removed.  "Harmoniously" sounded like a nice word, but we are talking about the rest of the life of a 7-year old.  There were also some other risks, although unlikely, risks nonetheless.  So, to the great disappointment of Grant, we have opted to have it removed.
Grant will go into the surgery clinic today at 3:30 for the procedure.  They are going to do it in the office with a local anesthetic.  Please pray that Grant will be cooperative and this will go smoothly.  We've tried to sweeten the deal with his choice of lunch before and Sweet Frog's yogurt after, but he's still upset that he has to do this at all.
This is very frustrating as a parent.  But, at this point, all we can do is deal with the situation at hand.  We have so much to be thankful for.  God has answered so many prayers and never left us.  And He will go with us today too!

No comments:

Post a Comment