Saturday, October 3, 2009

Moving Along

Grant went to the clinic on Thursday for a scheduled visit. Dr. Torres examined him again and found nothing abnormal. Getting his noodle was a little more difficult than it has been, but not as bad as I was expecting. He did fine with getting his chemo and we were in and out in about 2 and a half hours. This was the last treatment in this phase. Now he will have to make numbers to start the next phase. As of Thursday, his numbers were still fine. But, he has to wait 2 weeks, so his numbers will have to still be up at that time. He has another appointment for Monday, Oct. 12th for a blood check and to see Dr. Heym.
I was able to talk to Dr. Torres (who happened to be the on-call oncologist that looked at the MRI and discharged us from the ER) a little more about what happened with Grant. It was a lot less stressful and easier to think. The official diagnosis is a TIA (which I can't remember what the letters stand for). The definition is an episode with stroke-like symptoms with no evidence on the imaging that resolved on its own. Dr. Torres told me that both, her stroke team and the group that was doing the study on Grant, are doing more research on his case. She told me that they don't really have a lot of cases to compare it to b/c it's actually more rare than I originally thought. Since he will continue to get chemo by spinal tap, he will have to take a "rescue drug" the day after to try to help prevent this from happening again. But, he will be at risk each time.
Please pray that Grant's numbers will remain high enough to start treatment. And please pray for protection from the flu. We will be pretty isolated from now on.
I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you.
I will give you hope and a good future.
Then you will call my name.
You will come to me and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
You will search for me. And when you
search for me with all your heart, you will find me!
Jeremiah 29:11-13

1 comment:

  1. Transient Ischemic Attack= TIA

    Is the rescue drug leucovorin? I know kids with downs syndrome and ALL have to get that after intrathecal chemo. One girl I know with ALL gets it because she is very sensitive to methotrexate and she can't keep her counts high if she doesn't take it.

    I sure hope it will keep it from happening again. I'm sure his next LP will be nerveracking for you to say the least. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete