Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day 5

Today has been a pretty good day. Grant was able to sleep pretty well last night. He is still coughing but the doctor just says there is not much we can do. We are doing some trial and error on cough medicine to find one to help him. He was very quiet and reserved this morning. We tried to get him to eat the breakfast that was delivered to him (cereal), but he was not interested. A little later, he just sat up in bed and said, "I want a waffle." We all looked at each other (Rudy, Uncle Keith and I) and decided we would somehow make that happen. I asked the nurse and she said she would get some up to us. Of couse, once it was delivered, he decided he didn't want it. Thankfully, that proved to be a way for him to get some control and he eventually ate all the waffles. We were so excited. That's the most he's eaten in over a week. After that, we watched some cartoons, talked, played and even laughed a little. Then, he took a nap which always makes him wake up a little grumpy. The afternoon held a few mood swings, but they were not extreme. He's been a Daddy's boy through most of this ordeal and Daddy decided to eat some dinner tonight, so I was going to sit next to him on the bed. He started telling me he didn't want me there and fussing for Daddy. He was pushing me off the bed and saying Mooooove. So, I got up and sat somewhere else. His Daddy told him he needed to act nice and not be ugly to me. He very matter-of-factly responded with an "I'm Grumpy". :) Rudy said, "We know you are, but you still have to act nice." You never know what you're going to get. He's asked for another waffle for dinner, but has decided not to eat it. He has done a little better with the nurses today and has not cried every time they talk to him. We keep getting really good reports from the doctor and we feel like, overall, today has been an improvement. Tomorrow, Grant will be getting an additional chemo treatment administered through a shot. They shoot it into the muscle in his leg, but, because of his size, the volume is too large for one shot. So, he will have to have one in each leg, hopefully simultaneously. They will be monitering him closely for side effects. This is tenatively scheduled for noon. We are a little concerned that this will take us backward since he will be getting stuck again. Hopefully, it won't be a big setback.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear today was a pretty good day. Keep in mind when he gets grumpy you are dealing with a three year old! I always said, "anyone who says two's are terrible hasn't had a three year old!" We will be keeping all of you in our prayers tomorrow during his treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I know we haven't been in touch for awhile, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking about you all daily. We pray that Grant's full recovery will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy and Rudy! My name is Krista and I have been best buds with Kim Eason for the past 14 yrs. She let me know about your little guy and I wanted to let you know that we are praying for him in Oklahoma! God is good. Hold on to that hope for Grant! WE will for sure!

    Grace for the journey,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard about Grant this morning and I am concerned about what you are all having to go through. I printed out his birthday picture and posted it on my frig, that will be my reminder to continually pray for him. Amy, I am especially praying for you too because I know you don't handle hospital stuff very well! I am available if needed for any reason. Kathy E
    Phil.4:6&7

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grant, Kaeli and I miss you and are praying for you. We cant wait to have your smiling face back at school. All our Love Miss Kerri an Kaeli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,

    I am glad to hear that Grant is making good progress. I hope that the new chemo went well today. I am sure that his strong willed, stubborn nature that we always talked about at his well checks is what will help him get through this with flying colors. You guys are all in my prayers. I have asked everyone I know (& even some people I don't know!!) to keep Grant on their prayer lists. I am glad to hear that Trent is feeling better as well (I can't believe he is almost one year old!) Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you guys. I would love to see Grant so I will give you a call this week to see when would be a good time. Everyone at MD Pediatrics is thinking about Grant and we can't wait for the day when he is in the office again giving us a hard time and asking for stickers!!! See you soon,

    Kim Mowery
    MD Pediatric Assoc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of prayers going up to our Lord for you all! Christ is the bigger C!! He is holding all of you close and will carry Grant through to a wonderful victory! God bless & big hugs from Tulsa! Bob & Andi (Jaafars mom)

    ReplyDelete